Thursday, May 19, 2005

My Prom Experience...

Ok, so normally you are 18yrs old when you go to prom for the first time. Its a big deal, you spend money and all day at the Salon getting ready, you vote for Prom King and Queen, or maybe you get to be Prom King or Queen. My life however, is different then that. Oh so much different. My first prom was in the country of Slovenija, after I'd been done with high school for 6yrs. I got ready about 45 mins before I left and I did my own hair and make-up. No salon for me! So, this is the story. Neja invited Johnny and I to come as guests to her prom. Now you have to understand that prom in the states is completely different then prom in Slovenija. Actually prom here in Slovenija is more like a graduation, but a heck of a lot more exciting then graduation in the states. Its like a mix between a concert, a dance performance, a prom and a graduation. Each class does something in front of everyone that came, a dance, hand out "best of" awards, or tell funny class memories. Then there is a video of that class (each Grade is divided up into smaller classes. They are with that class for all four years of hs). After all that comes the dancing. Everyone (students and their dates, NOT guests) goes up stage and they do these choreographied dances! They were soo great! They did some kind of "Cha-Cha-Cha", Ballroom dancing, Slovenian Dancing, and many others. Johnny and I were up in the balcony seating watching Neja and Gasper dance. We felt like proud parents! We took about a million pictures and videos and couldn't stop talking about how amazing they looked and how proud we were of them. It was a blast!! Afterwards we went out for a drink with her parents and Gasper. Then we (Johnny & I) took Neja and Gasper to the Jackson house where everyone (Terry, Lori, David, Matt, and Anna) were hanging out. After oo-ing and ahh-ing over everyone we took pictures and took Neja and Gasper home. What a fun fun night!! Neja went on to hang out until 6:30am the next day with all her classmates. I went home and went to bed, as I am realizing more and more that I am not in high school anymore!!! But alas, I truly did enjoy my Prom Experience.

No comments: