Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Lost Daughter...

Yesterday I was in the mall with our highschool students playing a game. As I was walking amongst a sea of people I noticed a little boy. He was probably about 4 or 5years old and he was crying. Nearly screaming. I could tell he was lost and through his frantic screams he started to run. I could tell he didnt know where he was running. As he started to run I saw a woman. She was pushing her way through the people and running towards the little boy. Her son. In one quick motion she picked him up and they stood in the sea of people, arms wrapped around eachother and I heard the little boy sobbing , "Mommy Mommy Mommy" over and over again. Her little boy who once was lost, had been found.

This morning I read Luke 15 and listened to a PeterHiett sermon entitled "Lost Boys and How to Find Them". In Luke, after the son squanders all his Fathers money he comes to a realization. He has sinned against heaven and his Father. He no longer wants to be called his fathers son, but wants to be made one of his hired hands.

I have always read repentence in this place of the story. And yet the text states that the son wants to be his fathers hired servant, an employee. An employee receives nothing by grace. They earn everything. They get the boss' stuff, but not the boss. This boy is still lost. He doesnt want to be a son. He wants to be an employee. "Make me like one of his hired servants." It looks like repentence. But its evil.

So many times I come to the Father for his stuff. What he can do for me. I dont come to the Father to receive HIM.

The father saw his son. He had compassion on HIM. Threw his arms around HIM. And kissed HIM. The son's response, "Father I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son."

True Repentence. The son no longer asks to be an employee. He can only say, "Im unworthy". If I dont admit Im unworthy then I can never know grace. Because the Father in Heaven, IS grace.

I can only receive his love when I am stripped of the idea that I have earned it. I can only receive Him, when I am like that little boy that I saw in the mall yesterday. Broken. Clinging to nothing. Recognizing that I am completely and totally lost. It is then that my Father comes to me, brings me the best robes, puts a ring on my finger and sandals on my feet and gives me Himself.


3 comments:

Bex said...

wow, this is powerful, and perfect for me at this moment. thanks for sharing!! i need to get that sermon!!

Mišo said...

That's so true!

Nessie said...

oh christina,
I almost started crying just now...that was such a beautiful truth, and one I had never looked at before in that story. :-) It was lovely!